Saturday, April 29, 2006

The *New* MSCCS

To clarify the title: MS would be my initials and a serendipitous way to start the remaining: Certification in Common Sense.

Apparently I've spent too much time worrying about how to prove my value to employers, both those who write my checks and those for whom I perform contract software development. I've spent nights trying to figure out what certifications I should go after and if a complete suite, along with a new spiffy title, is worth the effort. To date, I can't say that not having one has hurt me.

However, I have run into individuals with certifications that make you want to break out the d-4 of silence. (Sorry, a bit of an inside joke but you probably get the idea). That's not to say certifications don't help HR people perform mind-numbing filtering of the glut of resumes the must deal with daily, there are fewer people who can craft the skills qualified by the certification into a workable solution.

In the midst of shaking my head at code I couldn't believe I remembered (seeming randomly at the time) what a friend had said his business degree seemed like at times: a degree in common sense. That made me wonder, is common sense truly that rare? Did Monty Python create a cult classic with "The Upperclass Twit of the Year" skit?

Mix all the previous thoughts together and you get my odd declaration that I'm going to start charging for a certification in common sense. Perhaps this will be a better filter for HR.

No comments: