Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Family Vacation - Day 1: Travel (1 of 4)

After a more normal, lazy weekend morning group snuggle in our bed, my wife and I began to migrate to the rest of the challenge for the day: starting the car rides. In case you were not aware, this turns out to be about a 2 hour process even having staged the car the night before.

There actually were not too many hiccups in the routine, although protests were expected and encountered. Here's how it went:
  • Showers and clothing: first my wife, then me with both kids in the shower and my wife tackling drying/initial clothing as cleanliness was achieved. Record protest set number 1. Gee, batting 1000 already.
  • Turn on TV show for the kids to keep them occupied.
  • Pack toiletries and double-check diaper count in diaper bag.
  • Separate squabbling kids who should just be watching TV.
  • Kids end up getting yogurt for a morning snack after protest #2.
  • I've forgotten what it was, but not long after finishing the yogurt came protest #3.
  • That lead to getting kids into the car.
  • Take kids to McDonald's for breakfast.
  • Go through 3 sets of utensils for 2 kids.
  • Finally get on the road.
Really, this was pretty smooth. My wife's family, and mine, both have histories of exceedingly drawn-out efforts to get underway on the day of the trip. I'll actually write that up as a successful transition.

Traveling was not quite as successful. Even with the videos there come problems. My son decided he didn't like the first choice and spent nearly an hour whining: "Need it off. Momeeeeeeeeee, need off!" He's learned a very effective tone of voice to use for this task. Thanks, as appropriate, to daycare for that one -- sometimes tough love *is* the proper response.

We stopped at a fun place for lunch. It was one that brought back a couple of college memories for my wife and I. Unfortunately, although well-behaved (which was itself a nice surprise), the kids did not each a balanced lunch and my son barely ate. This meant that diets were not observed and we would have cranky children (and very full parents). Oh well.

The second movie choice was good for both kids. With my wife driving I took some extra drugs and a small nap to see if I could improve the status of my head. The drugs were optional, the nap was not. I just can't ride in cars.

We stopped for an extended break (time for the kids to play) and then it was back behind the wheel for me. We were not far from dinner at that point so I decided to try to tough it out without a movie. The kids actually started inventing a way to play together. That lasted for about 20 minutes after which I decided a short show was in order to keep them from destroying the car. Their game had encouraged my son (Lord knows how) to start dismantling his car seat. Bring on the show!

Dinner was uneventful and both kids ate reasonably well. No more serious arguments, 2 heads kinda lolling to the side from time to time. We made it to the hotel and are trying to get to sleep. Not too bad, to be fair, but this is day 1 of 2 on this half of the travel.

No comments: