Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Family Vacation - Day 6: The Turkeys Are Coming!

No need for suspense, we didn't burn the complex to the ground.  However, I did hear smoke alarms throughout the afternoon!  We kept to the traditional lazy family day today.  Things started pretty much normally with a light breakfast when we were all awake. Sleeping in until 8am, that's just crazy!   We started off by making pumpkin pies -- yes, 2 as we didn't have the requisite deep dish pie crusts -- and fixing breakfast.

After breakfast, my wife and I enjoyed trading some individual time alone to just relax.   My daughter was happy to watch the parade on TV once it started and my son went out for a quick walk with my wife.  They didn't get far before he just wanted to play in the sandbox (aka the beach) so my wife took a 2nd walk just by herself and I took on the munchkins and prepared the bird.

It was nice enough that my daughter, having heard talk of the beach and finally coming out of her tunnel-vision about the parade, decided to give up her career as a rebroadcast announcer (she felt inclined to repeat everything said on the TV to me since I couldn't see it) and insisted on going to the beach herself.  Of course, my son wouldn't be left behind so I had to slide on suitable clothing and all of us went back to the beach.  Together we built a moat at the water's edge but didn't get far enough to build the castle.  Oh well, the kids had fun and tired themselves out.  My son was so tired at that point that he wouldn't eat a snack and barely bothered to strip clothes off before climbing into bed and taking a nap.

Unfortunately, it wasn't too long after that -- probably 45 minutes -- that it was time for the traditional late lunch/early dinner of overindulgence.  I went to wake up his highness and was greeted with probably the most disappointed look I've seen in awhile.  He was certainly not ready to eat and he fussed his way through not eating lunch.  Equally disappointing, he refused to go back to his nap and threw a second fit about that as my wife tried to snuggle him back to bed.  My daughter and I quickly fell asleep in the 2nd bed for our naps.  At least the reset-button was hit for my son and he happily watched TV and played through nap time.  He was still all smiles for most of the evening as we watched a couple of movies together and didn't fuss when I slipped out in the middle of "Cars" for a quick dip in the hot tub.  My daughter, on the other hand, required a promise that we would go swimming tomorrow before she'd relax and get ready for bed.

Not surprisingly, both kids requested a snack before bed and both ate leftovers without much fuss.  After that we all hit our crash point so I snuggled the kids to bed and am finishing this up before calling it a night.

No comments: